Thursday, September 5, 2013

Murano Glass shop in Florence

On our way back from the long hike to the Chiesa di San Miniato al Monte we stumbled upon a Murano Glass store. Being hotshop glassblowers at Alfred, Ali and I had to go! Here are some of the pictures.....
This milky white, translucent, pearlescent glass with the pink glass chandelier is both Ali and my favorite in the whole store. I wanna get some of that milky, translucent, pearly glass. The venetians probably have it in a color pot.  

Our overall impression of the shop was ok. I loved it and the opportunity to see this stuff was great. Any opportunity to see some blown glass excites me and this stuff was cool. HOWEVER, many of the glass pieces seemed a bit sloppy and we highly doubted that everything was from Murano. Some things definitely were not from Murano and some we believed to be from somewhere else because they just didn't seem to be the caliber that we believe Murano glassblowers are. The Murrine was smeared in some spots and things were definitely off. But what do we know? We have never been to Murano. Nevertheless, it got me thinking in the way that glass does and I wish I could blow some glass right now! I can dream about doing it in Murano but Alfred is gonna be great this spring  semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment